Monday, December 8, 2008

The Broken Toe

Some Mondays start in such a way they can’t possibly go anywhere but up.

As a wedding gift, among other things we received the gift of a cutting board. It was small and wood with a handle and I took one look at it and thought, “Well this is small, useless and ridiculous and I’ll never use it.”

But I was wrong. Turns out a small wood cutting board comes in handy fairly often and we’ve now used it so much that wood has begun to warp. Cutting on a bendy board is not an easy task so when I spied some fancy (cheap) bamboo ones at Safeway I quickly added it to the cart.

The new board is about 12 inches long and 8 inches wide in smooth, pretty bamboo. I pulled it out this morning to chop some tomatoes to add to my scrambled eggs. I’ll admit our kitchen isn’t entirely clean right now so the counter had some dishes and things on it. I slid the board as far as it would go so I could clear off the counter and place is securely for chopping, only as far as it would go just wasn’t far enough. My morning reflexes did not meet the necessary requirements and this lovely (heavy) cutting board hit me squarely on the toe.

I really do think it’s broken. I cried, I hopped, I iced and 6 ½ hour later I’m still smarting and limping. I attempted to photograph the ugliness of it for you but the photos just couldn't even begin to show the pain, the blue and the puffiness of it (consider yourself spared).

The only upside I can think of is that the board entirely missed the toenail so I don’t believe I’ll be losing that.

Good luck on your Monday, look out for wayward cutting boards.
L

2 comments:

Jenn said...

OUCH! Don't you wish you could go back in time and put the cutting board on a more stable surface to save yourself some weeks of suffering?

Laura said...

Do I ever! One small decision could have prevented all of this.