Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Traditions

Do you have any Valentine traditions?

Growing up my Mom always made heart shape shortbread cookies with pink frosting.  Every single year we made these cookies and they're always delicious so it seemed only natural that I would carry this on once I left home.  I haven't been as consistent and I always make sugar cookies instead of shortbread but for the most part I've made us heart shape cookies with pink icing.

This year I had a realization though... every year I dread making said cookies and I put it off longer and longer, I didn't even make them last year.  Why am I forcing myself to follow a tradition I don't even enjoy.  So I've decided no more cookies.  We may not eat the same thing every Valentine's Day but I will always make something delicious.  I planned on making cupcakes this year but in the end settled on this, which is in my fridge now.  I'm thinking it's a decision I will not be regretting.

Peanut Butter Fudge Brownie Trifle


Let me break it down for you, starting from the bottom.  A layer of cut up brownies, a peanut butter/cream cheese mixture, chocolate pudding (I used chocolate mousse), whipped cream, and chopped up mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  Repeat.  Drool.

I did make one small change to the peanut butter layer of the trifle.   I make this Peanut Butter Toblerone cheesecake and every time I make it I realize it's the best thing I've ever eaten.  I've never made it for anyone that didn't love it so instead of their peanut butter layer I used the cheesecake (minus the Toblerone) for mine, it's a small change though, their's was very similar.

Also there is no way mine is as pretty.  The only clear dish I have is huge and I wanted a 3 family size so mine is much smaller and I definitely skipped the piped on whipped cream but it will be equally as delicious.

Are you eating anything delicious today?

3 comments:

Jolayne said...

We are eating lasagna (Arvid's favorite), homemade French bread, and for dessert, iced heart shaped sugar cookies and heart shaped almond bark. Yum!

Jolayne said...

We are eating lasagna (Arvid's favorite), homemade French bread, and for dessert, iced heart shaped sugar cookies and heart shaped almond bark. Yum!

Amanda said...

It's so funny you've just asked about Valentin's traditions because I just wrote a post about that here: http://amandabethxoxo.blogspot.com/2012/02/be-my-valentine.html

Great minds, eh? :)

Every year my Mom used to get my sister and I quirky Valentine's Boxer Shorts/Pajama Pants and Hershey's Kisses. I LOVED that tradition and definitely think I'll be passing it along to my kiddies someday.

As far as eating yummy food, I'm like Jolayne. The hubby and I usually have lasagna. Somehow I just think Italian food 'goes' with Valentine's Day. It's romantic...you know, the whole Lady and The Tramp spaghetti scene! :)

That dessert you made looks delicious! :)